Portal for the Greek language and language education
Scholarly Supervisor: D. Koutsogiannis
Assistant Professor, Linguistics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
The Centre for the Greek Language has designed and implemented this Internet portal to support the study and teaching of the Greek language. It is addressed to researchers, university students, teachers, pupils, and everyone interested in the Greek language, within and outside of Greece. It attempts to cover the Greek language both diachronically and synchronically (Ancient Greek, Medieval Greek, Modern Greek). Our aim is for the Portal to constitute a useful, reliable, and effective environment:
- for the support and dissemination of the Greek language in the digital age,
- for the teaching of Greek as a native and second/foreign language,
- for the support of research,
- for the productive use of Information and Communication Technologies in the teaching of the Greek language.
The Portal has also absorbed the copious material contained in the Electronic Komvos (Ηλεκτρονικός Κόμβος),revised and augmented.
A detailed contact sheet is available here.
- Electronic Dictionaries and corpus of texts
- Theoretical research and study of the Greek language
- Modern Greek language: Theory and teaching
- The teaching of Greek as a second/foreign language
- Modern Greek literature
- Medieval Greek language
- Ancient Greek language
- Information and support services for the public
Electronic Dictionaries and corpus of texts
- Upgraded and expanded options for searching the electronic dictionaries:
- Dictionary of Common Modern Greek(Institute for Modern Greek Studies-Manolis Triandafyllidis Foundation)
- A Concise Dictionary of Medieval Greek Vulgar Literature (by E. Kriaras),
- Greek-English Dictionary(by D.G. Georgacas),
- Reverse Dictionary of Modern Greek (by A. Anastasi-Symeonidi, Institute for Modern Greek Studies-Manolis Triandafyllidis Foundation)
- An enriched version of the text corpus currently available on the Electronic Komvos, now also including journalistic texts and school textbooks.
- A complete environment with examples of educational applications and support for language teachers and students using the dictionaries and text corpora.
Theoretical research and study of the Greek language
- Topics in the history of the Greek languageTwenty multimedia units on topics in the history of the Greek language, from its beginnings until today.
- The histories of the Greek languageThe histories of the Greek language are presented, accompanied by expert published reviews.
- The Greek language in EuropePapers discussing the place of Greek in the European Union, within the framework of a broader dialog concerning "strong" and "weak" languages in the EU.
- The dialects of Modern GreekA presentation of Modern Greek dialects: description, texts in dialect, phonetic material, bibliographies, and useful links.
Modern Greek language: Theory and teaching
- A bibliography about the Greek language and language education, supplemented by summaries of books and articles published during the last five years.
- A catalogue and presentation of:
- dictionaries and Modern Greek text corpora
- grammars of Modern Greek, with expert commentaries and published reviews.
- Dictionary of Linguistics Terms: This includes both basic and more specialized terminology. The aim is to facilitate exposure to the relevant works in the "Portal" and to cover the teaching needs of educators and general readers.
- A presentation of software for the teaching of Modern Greek.
- A guide to using the Internet in language education.
- Information and Communication Technologies and the teaching of Greek (study outcome).
- Literacy practices of young people (study outcome).
- Graduate studies in the teaching of Modern Greek.
- Modern Greek and adult education.
The teaching of Greek as a second/foreign language
- Full information on the examinations and certificates of attainment in Modern Greek. Samples of past papers.
- Software for diagnosing the degree of difficulty of Greek texts.
- Bibliographical information: a) manuals for the teaching of Greek as a foreign language, b) bibliography on the teaching of Greek as a foreign language, and c) supporting bibliography in other languages on the teaching of second/foreign languages.
- Maps showing the academic centers for the teaching of Greek as a second/foreign language and the examination centers for the certificate of attainment in Greek around the world.
- Comparison and correlation between the curricula: of the Certificate of Attainment in Greek and the primary and secondary school curricula.
- Correlation between the levels of the Certificate of Attainment in Greek and a) the levels used by other agencies abroad in reference to certificates of proficiency in Greek, b) the levels used in reference to certificates of proficiency in other languages, and c) the levels used by the national certificate of language proficiency.
- Bilingual dictionaries (listed and presented).
- A bilingual glossary of applied linguistics terminology.
- The teaching manual, From Word to Text [Από τη λέξη στο κείμενο].
- Sample lesson plans for Greek as a second/foreign language.
- Teaching applications for the statistical results of past examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in Greek and the errors students make in Greek as a second/foreign language.
Modern Greek literature
- Translations of Modern Greek literature into 10 languages
- Literary translations into Modern Greek (1880-1930)
- Modern Greek short stories (from 1974 on)
- Modern Greek literary journals (from 1974 on)
- History, theory, and criticism of translation
- An anthology of Modern Greek literature (writers of the Heptanese-Athenian Romantics-the 1880 Generation-Literature of the 1920s)
- Older anthologies of poetry and prose: D.K. Kokkinakis, Panhellenic Anthology [Πανελλήνιος Ανθολογία] (1899); I. Polemis, Lyre [Λύρα] (1923); T. Agras, The Young [Οι νέοι]; A.D. Papadimas, New Short Story Writers [Οι νέοι διηγηματογράφοι] (1923)
- An anthology of translated works of literature
- A library of literary and critical texts
- A critical overview of histories of Modern Greek literature
- A critical presentation of modern studies about literature
- Questions in literary translation
- Teaching/ Education:
- Support materials for the teaching of modern European literature in the Greek high school
- Guides and sources:
- Websites related to Modern Greek literature
- Literature and multimedia (e-books, readings, works set to music, adaptations for cinema and television)
- Graduate studies in Modern Greek Literature at Greek Universities
- Concordance to the poetry of Giorgos Seferis
Medieval Greek language
- Emmanouel Kriaras' Concise Dictionary of Medieval Vulgar Greek Literature, 1100-1669.
- Basic vulgar source texts (manuscripts and editions) for the comprehensive Kriaras Dictionary (Dictionary of Medieval Greek Vulgar Literature, 1100-1669.
- Websites related to Medieval Greek language and literature.
- General-purpose dictionaries of Medieval Greek.
- Dictionaries of dialects and glossaries of Medieval Greek words surviving in Modern Greek.
- Lexicographical aids for a) specialized vocabularies (terminology) and b) loan words in Medieval Greek.
- Manuals and other studies concerning the morphology and syntax of Medieval Greek.
Ancient Greek language
- Text corpora:
- Anthology of Ancient Greek Texts
- Modern Greek translations of the Anthology of Ancient Greek Texts
- Concordance to the Anthology of Ancient Greek Texts
- Basic dictionary of Ancient Greek (a medium-sized online "school" dictionary of classical Attic)
- The formation of words in Ancient Greek (by Albert Debrunner)
- Principles of Ancient Greek syntax
- Text corpora:
- Bibliographies-electronic sources
- Guide to navigating ancient sources online
- Bibliography listing and evaluating interpretive and encyclopedic dictionaries, grammar and syntax handbooks, and teaching manuals
- Bibliography listing and evaluating studies on general and specialized topics in Ancient Greek literature: e.g., new technologies in classical letters, the translation of Ancient Greek, the teaching of Ancient Greek, etc.
- Bibliographical guide to Modern Greek translations of Ancient Greek literature
- Teaching - education
- Digital learning laboratory (various interactive exercises and multiple applications)
- Intralingual translation: From Ancient into Modern Greek (theoretical, historical, and practical information regarding the translation of Ancient Greek, as well as proposals for teaching it in schools)
- Archaic lyric poetry (supporting materials for the teaching of Greek lyric poetry in the Second Form of the Unified Upper Secondary School (lykeion)
Information and support services for the public
An e-mail-based information service sends out newsletters on conferences, one-day conferences, scholarly meetings, and publications in the press. All subject areas relating to the content of the "Portal" are covered. Information is also sent out regarding:
- technical queries on topics in the Greek language, such as the use of the Greek alphabet in electronic environments (Greek fonts, monotonic and polytonic, for all operating systems),
- existing automatic translation systems of Greek, and voice processing technology.